Thursday, January 29, 2009

When was the last time you had a beach bonfire?

An Aussie friend of mine asked us to celebrate Australia Day with him last Sunday. I hear that parts of Australia are experiencing temperatures of over 100 degrees fahrenheit right now; for us, it was quite the contrary, but we did our best to pretend it wasn't so and I think we pulled off a darn good effort! I brought a frisbee- one of my favorite fake sports- and got to toss it around with some folks. Some other kids made a make-shift cricket set and had a ball with that. We had it on a beach along the Rhein and made a big bonfire that lasted several hours and kept us fairly warm if we stood close around it like penguins. It was a really fun, cool, international crowd.

4 comments:

Mandie P said...

i've never been lucky enough to have a beach bonfire... however, I live at the beach now- maybe this can happen!

Regina said...

No shrimp? No barby? Sorry - couldn't resist the old epithet. Australia is like a mini-USA in a way, built by exiles, did the genocide thing that no one is proud of, and broke free of England. I'm a bit envious of their accent, though. I wonder how they got such a cool accent, and we didn't?

Timothy Singer said...

Man, I haven't had a bonfire in ages. I think my usual bonfire buddy is in Puerto Rico. (I'm not entirely positive, but it's plausible since I haven't seen her in ages.)

Janet said...

I haven't had a bonfire in ages either. Or gone to the beach. lucky you