Friday, February 27, 2009

Sweedisch NotMeatBalls

I got these ballz from the swell vegan blog. I've no idea what sweedish meetballs taste like. These weren't bursting with flavor and were also a bit more crumbly than I'd hoped. They did feel very hearty, though, and I enjoy the chance to eat something like that occasionally. I found that these babies tasted best when I mashed them up with my home-made tomato sauce in the spaghetti. That made it taste like spaghetti bolognese, even though I don't know what that tastes like either.

Even if you aren't vegan, I'd recommend these balls as a high-protein, low-colesterol alternative to their meaty counterpart.

Randomly-Assembled Tomato Sauce
1 tomato, peeled and chopped
1.5C cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 package tomato purée (maybe 1.5-2 cups worth?)
2t dried basil
1-2t dried oregano
1t cumin
1t salt
few shakes black pepper

onions in a stock pot 'till they're a little bit soft and aromatic( 3-5min), then add garlic, spices and herbs. stir occasionally until onions brown. add mushrooms and tomato and really let that cook down (as long as 10min, on simmering heat and covered). once cooked down, add the tomato purée and bring it to a steady boil. take off heat. blend with an immersion mixer. if you don't have an immersion mixer, your life is just less good. add some water if you think it's too thick. The mushrooms make this nice and rich and really good.

1 comment:

Regina said...

I used to have an immersion mixer, and my life has never been the same since it's gone. sounds like the makings of a #1 country hit.